19th century iron key dating
This was a pre-Reformation church, originally dedicated to St Mary and later to the Holy Trinity and is closely associated with St. Post-disestablishment, it was re-dedicated to St Madryn, was burned down in 1978 and re-opened in 1981 (it remains the only listed building in the village).At that time, there was very little other development along the roads which radiated out to the north, east and south.In our time, we are lucky to have the combined output of many generations of craftsmanship and design to add richness to our lives. Introduction Prehistoric Sculpture Sculpture of Classical Antiquity (c.1100-100 BCE) Celtic Metal Sculpture (400-100 BCE) Roman Sculpture (c.200 BCE - c.200 CE) Byzantine Sculpture (330-1450 CE) Sculpture During The Dark Ages (c.500-800) Romanesque Sculpture (c.800-1200) Gothic Sculpture (c.1150-1300) Italian Renaissance Sculpture (c.1400-1600) Baroque Sculpture (c.1600-1700) Rococo Sculpture (c.1700-1789) Neoclassical Sculpture (Flourished c.1790-1830) 19th Century Sculpture 20th Century Sculpture: The Advent of Modernism Post-War Sculpture (1945-70) Postmodernist Contemporary Sculpture Any chronological account of the origins and evolution of three-dimensional art should properly occupy several volumes, if not a whole library of books.For Pentelic, Parian, Carrara stone, see: Marble Sculpture. The Venus of Tan-Tan (c.200,000 BCE or earlier) is a quartzite figurine from the same period.For other similar forms of carving, see: Stone Sculpture. If these objects are pre-sculptural forms, the earliest prehistoric sculpture proper emerged around 35,000 BCE in the form of carvings of animals, birds, and therianthropic figures, made during the Lower Perigordian/Aurignacian Period and discovered in the caves of Vogelherd, Hohle Fels, and Hohlenstein-Stadel, in the Swabian Jura, Germany.
Either it will grow in beauty and character with time under the gradual in uence of both wear and care, or it will look its best the day it is finished and then deteriorate from that day forward.
The village has grown considerably since 1840 (when it was shown on the tithe map).
Situated on the then main road and some distance, surprisingly, from the bridge where the road crossed the Afon Prysor (the village is actually sited on the top of a small but distinct ridge), it then comprised a main core centred on the ‘square’ just to the south of the church (see photograph).
This core was surrounded by a pattern of small, irregular fields (possibly remnants of a late medieval organisation).
Later in the 19th century the village expanded: in addition to several chapels, two inns and several shops (including the Cambrian Stores) next to the original core, ribbon developments were built along the three roads leading from the centre: along the road to the north, Fron-galed and Pant-yr-celyn terraces were built; on the eastern road, Ty’n-y-pwll cottages and particularly Ardudwy and Ty-llwd terraces (the name of the latter taken from a farm marked here on the tithe map) and eventually the station (the Great Western Railway line from Bala to Ffestinog, and thus the station here, opened in 1882 and finally closed in 1964 – see area 12); and, on the main road to the south, a hotel, Fron-wynion terrace, Glascoed, Rhiwlas, Bryn-hyfryd and other short terraces, along with another chapel.